Sunday, March 22, 2009

Chuckanut 50K, 3-21-2009: Better last than never

Actually Laura H claims one or two people straggled in even after me, but that seems impossible, Anyway, even the slowest finish is a did-not-quit and I'm good with that. (Next day--I see it's posted as a DNF: it's an F, but a DNF on time:)) Still, this is my first time getting back so late that even the race clock has gone home ahead of me. 

Beautiful day!--despite dire weather predictions. Big crowd in the cool AM crowding in to get bibs and chip timers; saw Ana S at the dropoff, saw Tracy B and Laura H manning (personing?) the station, saw Laura S at the opposite table. Friendly faces, yeeha! 

Start was chilly and exciting. 

Next twenty miles--plenty of time alone with myself to think:)--didn't take pix, just kept plugging away--

then halfway up Chinscraper--who is that denizen of the primeval forest, dropped out of a clear sky into the craziest terrain of the day, packing a camera bigger than my leg? The Glenn-onator! My iPhone camera fought him to a draw. Some very welcome encouraging words from him and off to the last third of the trot.

Aid Station Four: angels of mercy!!!!! Tracy B and Laura S. I owe them. Ai yi yi. They dragged me the rest of the way in--9 miles? It sure was excellent to have company. Looked around a bit and enjoyed the truly beautiful scenery and day, and the pleasure of being able to be out in it and move--yeah, slowly--through so much dang pretty territory.

Even got a living finish-line arch to run under!

As noted above, no timing equipment remained, so here's a pic of the Garmin to document completion of the course. 31.06 miles, 8:59; 17:22 pace. 

Emily Anne's sign: Go Dad Go! 

Lessons learned: one day a week is not enough training for a mountain trail ultra. Who knew? :) Work to do ahead.

All's well that ends well: the morning-after breakfast in Fairhaven (after a great two nights in the event's official hotel, the Hampton Inn)--that smiley fruit plate guy? When all is said and done, I know just how he feels.

Thanks run buddies for encouragement, thanks Krissy M for a great event to aim for. I wonder if this would be as much fun if I were actually prepared for it...? (Gwen S: yeah you tried to tell me!)

Oh, all right then; back to the training!
-Chris
 
















1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Chris. It is fun with no training but more fun with more training! Funny logic, eh? See you on the trails.

    ReplyDelete